A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

"Marking" Babies

I was about  ten or 11 when I went to the Methodist Church across the street from my church with my sister for a concert.  You see, there were two good looking young college boys from Asbury College (before it was Asbury University) who were singing and preaching their way across the Southeast trying to raise tuition money for the next year. Well, as I recall, they sang pretty good and all the girls were laughing at their corny jokes, and crying at their message.  But, there is only one thing they said that night that I will never forget.

They told this story of a Missionary woman in China that had to go to the mountain stream to get water for her family every day.  She was pregnant, and on her way up the mountain she saw it....the biggest, blackest, bear you have ever seen!  She was terrified, she left her wagon and the buckets and ran just as far as she could to the bottom of the mountain and back home to her family.  She calmed down, and everything seemed to be okay, and then, the baby was born.....

There she was, a cute little baby girl, with pretty blue eyes, blonde hair, ten fingers, ten toes, and oh no....it couldn't be...the bear had left it's mark.....she had little "bear" feet!!!!

I know, corniest joke EVER....

but I think there is something to "marking" babies as the old folks say.  When my oldest son was born, we decorated his room with clowns.  Clowns everywhere.  big ones, little ones, seashell clowns, ceramic clowns, clown lamps, clown bedding, well...you get the picture!

I didn't find out till many years later that he is terrified of clowns. Maybe I "marked" him.  Who knows?  My mom ate onions like they were apples when she was pregnant with me? Do I like onions? Never have!

Think about it....Have you been marked?  have you "marked" your child?

I know it is really only an old wives tale, but sometimes, the coincidences are astounding!

We all know we are set apart and marked by Jesus, to be His and do his will, whether it is in bare feet, in a clown ministry or chopping onions when we don't like them

How are you marked?

No comments:

Post a Comment