A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Doors

There are all kinds of doors. Solid ones, ornate doors with beautiful windows, revolving doors, swinging doors, automatic doors, french doors and I'm sure plenty more that I haven't thought of. 

Been thinking about doors lately.  They either keep or allow things or people in, or let them out.  Or they can even keep people our things out. I think our hearts function a lot like doors in many ways.

 If someone approaches our heart we have the choice to let them in or leave them outside. Everytime you let someone in, you take a risk.  You give them access to your emotions, your feelings and the very heart of who you are. You take that risk to let them see you at your best, your worst and everything in between. 
However, you also take a risk by not letting someone in your heart. You may miss out on a blessing.  The blessing of encouragement, love, frienship, and the joy of living life together.

A huge part of how we give access has to do with who is in the house when we make that decision.  You may decide that you have enough people with access to your heart, you may decide that you don't want to take a risk again.  But, I promise you this, if the One who loves us more than anything is in your house when the knock comes, you won't mind giving access to others. After all, it didn't go so bad when you let Him in, did it?

I have chosen to live my life like a french door.  I try to be inviting, letting people in as they approach.
Have I gotten hurt? Yes. but that is a part of the journey.  But I have someone in my living room, to bandage the wounds, love me completely, and to keep me from putting up the ugly, solid, uninviting door. Have I been blessed beyond measure by those whom I have given access?   In more ways than I have words for!

Don't be afraid to give access....don't be afraid to let someone in....Sometimes, people have to leave, but the things they leave behind are part of the decor that is the home of your heart..

"Then Christ will make His home in your hearts, as you trust in Him, your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong." Ephesians 3:17

What kind of door are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment