A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Aunt Gladys

 Aunt Gladys was my only aunt on my daddy's side.  I loved her so much.  She was not a "girly girl".  Her idea of fun was to hook up her boat to her trailer, drive to her fish camp on the river and fish.  Just like any other true woman of the South, she could cook a buffet for 20 people every Sunday, make sweet tea like none other, and grow the most amazing azaleas, hydrangeas, and daylillies you have ever seen...she was also at her church everytime the doors were open.  She loved her parents, and siblings with all her heart, and my daddy, her baby brother was crazy about her.  So was I.  Her whole family was crazy about her and never wandered more that a block or two away from her for most of their lives.

She was always smiling or laughing. She told the best stories about her mischevious childhood. I never once heard her complain, and when she hugged you, you knew it because it took you two or three minutes to breathe again.

After Daddy died and I went off to school, I didn't see her nearly as much, but there was never a Christmas, or an occaision that we didn't get a card or a gift. I don't know if I ever told her how much that meant.

She wasnt fancy, but she did everything with her whole heart.  Aunt Gladys always was a sign of constancy and stability to everyone in her life.  She passed away about 4 years ago, now. She was in her late 90's and was graceful even in her leaving. Her life wasn't easy, she was weathered, but to look in her blue eyes, you saw the joy of a child and the love of Jesus.

I believe that in Heaven we will be reunited with those that have gone before us.  I can't wait to see the smile on her face as she hugs me tight and says, "Come on in sug, your daddy and me just caught some fish today, wanna stay for supper? let me get ya some tea!" 

Love you, Aunt Gladys!

No comments:

Post a Comment