A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Friday, May 13, 2011

Why I am lucky to be alive!

I was not the brightest kid!  I had some strange ideas of what fun was.
But, back in the 60's and early 70's we had a whole lot less parental supervision and a whole lot more time to use our imagination...probably not necessarily a good thing in my case!!

Here are just a few of the reasons why I believe in guardian angels and God's protection:

1. Several of us used to run behind the mosquito truck, or ride our bikes behind it to play in the fog!

2. I made and drank "acorn soup" in my playhouse.  I loved the way the water turned purple when you put the acorns in.

3. We ran around barefoot on oyster shell driveways catching "lightening bugs"  at night.

4. I used little green lizards for earrings.

5. Getting stuck in a magnolia tree by climbing too high was not pleasant.  Especially when my dad had to climb up and get me.

6. After extensive trials we found that it was possible to set a pile of leaves on fire with a magnifying glass.

7.  The Swim out to a sandbar does not seem nearly as long as the swim back.

8.  My parents were not thrilled when we caught over 50 toad frogs and put them in the garage...I think they multiplied overnight.

9. After many walks through the woods at night (hiding from Pa Ross), I never found the elusive "Snipe"

10. Sunburns, cut feet, upset stomachs and minor bruises of all sorts were the norm.
It could have been worse, now that we know about melanoma, DDT poisoning, staph infections, predators, heat exhaustion and the like.

I definitely became a "do as I say, not as I did" mom, but it was for their safety.  I know my guardian angel was tired and they might not get good ones given my track record!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment