A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sayings

Lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about where my roots are. 

Without question, I am a child of the South....except for a few years in Kentucky, I am a Southern girl through and through ( Some people even consider Kentucky a part of the South.. ).

Last night, there was a great program on the History channel about the language we use, the dialects, the music, Faith, football, food, and our way of life. Of course, it did have to end with a country singer cursing..(how lame is that?)

I've been reading a book about some of our trying times,  how we have been unkind to one another, but also have loved each other through those days.

But today, I want to talk about our unique sayings.  They don't really "fly" when they need explanation, so they don't always travel well.   But for those of us who have a story for everything,  and love a good saying, here we go:

-Already told you about these:
"Cute as a speckled puppy under a red wagon"
"if you lived here you'd be home now"

-"she would argue with a signpost"
  --Daddy said that about me more than once!

-"Rode hard and put up wet.'
   You look more tired than a race horse-and just as bad!

-"Heebie jeebies"
person or thing that gives you the chills

-"Short end of the stick"
  you got a bad deal on what ever it was (i.e, looks, a fight, a bet, etc.)

-"Half cocked."
Don't go raising sand until you get all of the information

-"Two peas in a pod"
 made for each other

-"Don't let your mouth overload your behind"
One of my favorites, don't promise more than you can deliver

-"Water off a duck's back"
whatever the situation, you didn't let it get to you, it just rolled right off of you

-"I declare"
 oh my!

- “He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on
the way down.”
 no explanation needed-but not nice!

-“Finer that frogs’ hair.”
 feeling good

-“That puts a hitch in my giddy-up"
 makes you feel good!

-"Don't act above your raising"
  Don't act stuck up, because we all know where you came from

-“If I was any happier I’d be twins.”

-"When the Lord said nose, I thought he said rose so I picked the biggest one I could find"
 my Daddy's favorite!

This list is by no means exhaustive or complete! Let's keep it going and add your favorite sayings! Should be fun!  Expressions, Southern or not,  send them on!

Love,
Me



No comments:

Post a Comment