A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

"Smell that bread and butter!"

One of the joys of growing up in a coastal community was the lovely smell of the local paper mill.  On most days it was tolerable, but on those cloudy, rainy, yucky days that scent couldn't escape into the stratosphere and it was awful!!!

Everyone would walk around gagging, and snorting and whining, and my dad in his usual glass-half-full wisdom would say, "mmmmm, smell that bread and butter."
What? bread and butter doesn't smell like that!  But, it was just a part of life.  I never really asked what he meant, I just knew he was going to say it.  One day, I asked him what it meant and he said, "To some people that is the sweetest smell on earth because it puts food on their tables and clothes on their backs."  I never quite fussed as hard after that.

So, as time would have it, everytime we would take our children home for a visit I would invariably say, "Ooooh, smell that bread and butter." and yep, they'd  roll their eyes too!  But like me, with age (and the proper explanation) we all understand that bread and butter has many beautiful aromas!

1 comment:

  1. Your dad was a very wise man! That must be why his daughter is so smart...and sweet! Love the Blog, Heather!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete