A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"Running Away?"

As I have mentioned before, we have an elderly beagle named Sadie.  She has lost most of her markings now to grey hair and she is really slow moving.  But she still has that "beagle heart".  In her mind, she is chasing a scent to the end of the world and running the whole time.  I could outrun her and that is not saying much, these days! Silly Dog!

Saturday night she "got us" though!  We were inside having dinner and I went to feed her while we were cleaning the kitchen, and  SHE WAS GONE! We looked for her for what seemed like forever. We then decided she would probably come home soon and would check again in a little bit.  About 3 hours later, after calling and watching and riding, we hear a knock on the back door.  She was home and was just knocking with her snout to let us know! Silly, Silly DOG!

Isn't that how we are sometimes, though?   We decide," I think I will run my own race... follow those things that appeal to me for a while, have a little fun and be free."  Well, then things don't work out so well, and we decide we have had enough of that and ......it's back home to the safety of the porch lights, a warm bed and our Father's arms. Knocking to let Him know we are back home.

Many of us as parents have had the same thing happen.  All three of our boys had  a "Runaway Plot" when they were very young.  One even left us a map with instructions not to follow him! I'm so glad those plans didn't work out, I liked having them at home under our protection.

The appeal of the "scent trail", or the "open road" or our "Own devices" can be so appealing, but the road back home is scary sometimes.  For me, I chose to stay inside, within the protection of the Father's house and to know that if and when I follow the wrong path, I can still run, or at least 'hurry" home out of the shadows and into the light!


No comments:

Post a Comment