A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Mary

Usually,When I think of the birth of Jesus I think of a chaotic night ending in a baby's birth and a big crowd at a stable with everyone singing "Hark the herald angels sing" or "Silent night".   But this year I have been thinking about Mary and what it must have really been like for her.  A young girl, probably scared, not knowing what this would mean for her or Joseph, or the world. The fear of labor, delivery, and in, of all places a stable, not even her own home with her Mama there. To be 13, carrying the salvation of the world. Wow!

I am sure, as the night went on, and the shepherds came, and the innkeepers were there, and the angels started singing, she was filled with wonder. I am sure Joseph was beside her and began to understand.  But did she feel it?  That thing all of us as mothers have? That sense of immediate protection? Did she stop and think, "Can I just be alone with my husband to count His fingers and toes?"  or "Is it safe to let the Shepherds near?" , "Are they clean enough to breathe on the Savior of the world?"

Mary was selected by God to be the Mother of Christ, she may not have felt that way, but on the other hand she was human.  My heart aches for her, knowing this child was only hers for a while, knowing He was born to die.  What an incredible woman she must have been.  What a help mate Joseph must have been. When I look at most nativity scenes, she is looking down at the baby in the manger, from now on, I prefer to think of her holding her baby close, while she can....

"Silent night, holy night
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child
Holy Infant so tender and mild"Image Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment