A special place

A special place
A porch swing can = Forever!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hope...

That is my mother's middle name.."Hope".  Four little letters that are so full of meaning.  How different our lives are when we live with "hope" and more different still, when we don't.

When I first thought about this word in relation to my Mom, I thought, "well, she sure hasn't lived like she has had a lot of hope, she really hasn't lived up to her name."  But then I thought about her life.  She faced incredible odds as a child, and ended up seeking a better life, a life in Christ..she really did have hope...Did the hope wane as the circumstances of life took their toll on her?  You bet it did......Was "Hope" more than a part of her name?  At one time I would have said "no", but now, as I have gotten older, I say, "yes"...her Hope remained, buried for a while, but it is there now... I see it again, in a glance when no one is looking, or a timid smile, or her childlike anticipation..there's hope...and a future.  Maybe one I can't see, but she can! 

Have I always lived like I have had hope?  Not always.... Have I exhibited the" hope that lives within me" to my family and friends?  Not always.  I don't have "Hope" as my middle name, but I have something else, the hope of a risen Savior living inside me.  It may not always be at the surface.   Other things, circumstances, life, my own sinfulness, selfishness, and self-defeating tendencies try to block that hope.  But today, I was reminded of this precious gift we have:  

"Let us hold tightly without wavering to the HOPE we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promise!"
Hebrews 10:23

and :

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  
Jeremiah 29:11


Why, oh why would I ever want to live as though there is no hope?

Have a "hope-filled " day in Jesus!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment